Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club seeks consent of club members’ parents/guardians to use software, tools and applications provided by third parties that members, parents/guardians and/or staff will access via the Internet and use for virtual programming while the Club is closed physically. The following includes links to privacy policies from each third party platforms, as well as responsibilities of staff and parents/guardians to keep club members safe during virtual programming.
During all virtual programming, club staff and club members are prohibited from having 1:1 online contact with each other, as are club members with their peers during club virtual programming. Only when responding to emergency situations, 1:1 contact is allowed between club members and staff.
Please review Zoom’s privacy terms and conditions carefully before registering your member:
If you do choose to register for Zoom, you will be asked to provide basic information, not limited to name and email address.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a platform to provide safe video and chat-based educational and fun experiences on computers, tablets and smartphones.
How does Zoom work?
Club staff host “meetings” through their Zoom accounts, and can then invite club members, only through their parent/guardian, to join the meeting.
Neither club members nor parent/guardians need Zoom accounts, but you will need access to the internet and a computer, phone, or tablet. You will also need a quiet space for club members to participate in Zoom meetings where they will also be able to be supervised by an adult.
How will we use Zoom?
Through video conferencing and media sharing, we will virtually gather club members and at least two staff for homework help in Power Hour, art projects, culinary, and other fun and educational activities. This will allow members to connect and engage with each other and staff online.
While facilitating a live program via Zoom, staff have the following responsibilities.
- Staff will send invitations to Zoom meetings to parents/guardians only, never directly to club members.
- Staff will enable Zoom’s waiting room in order to make sure only club members whose parent/guardian has given their consent can participate in live virtual programming.
- Staff will disable participant recording, eliminating the possibility that content can be downloaded later by participants and shared externally.
- Staff will disable participant screen sharing, eliminating the possibility that unauthorized content on participants’ screens might be shared as a result of programming. Screen sharing may be temporarily enabled in order to use the collaborative whiteboard feature on Zoom.
- Staff will disable participant-to-participant private chat and only use the “Everyone Publicly” setting, eliminating the possibility of 1:1 online contact between an participants and/or staff.
- Staff will be scheduled so that there are always 2 staff members present on the duration of all Zoom meetings to eliminate the possibility of 1:1 contact between staff and participants.
- Staff will prohibit the sharing of email addresses, mobile phone numbers, social media handles, and any other Personal Identifiable Information (PII).
- Staff will record audio and video of each live program. At the end of each program, staff will send those files to supervisory staff for secure storage.
- At the end of each session, staff will send a saved chat log to supervisory staff for secure storage.
While participating in a program via Zoom, club members’ parent/guardian has the following responsibilities:
- Parent/guardians need to supervise their children. Virtual programming provides activities and social connection but NOT physical safety or childcare.
- Parents/guardians are the sole communicators between their child and the Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club. Club staff will never contact a club member directly under any circumstances.
- Parents/guardians should not allow the sharing of email addresses, mobile phone numbers, social media handles, and any other Personal Identifiable Information (PII).
- Parents/guardians are responsible for making sure their children understand their role in their online safety to the best of their abilities.
The Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club also seeks parents/guardians’ consent to utilize social media for distance-based, virtual Club program purposes. Please review Facebook, YouTube and Instagram’s privacy terms and conditions carefully before registering your member for virtual programming:
https://www.facebook.com/security/ and https://www.facebook.com/terms.php and https://help.instagram.com/581066165581870 and https://help.instagram.com/402411646841720 and https://www.youtube.com/about/policies/#community-guidelines.
Through virtual programming via social media, the Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club will target posts towards parents/guardians, and will only communicate through direct or personal message with parents/guardians. The Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club will allow club members with personal accounts to follow the club’s accounts, but will encourage communications to be received by parent/guardian accounts.
Our commitment to keeping the young people we serve safe is always our number one priority. Martha’s Vineyard Boys & Girls Club will actively monitor member activity on Zoom, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, and will make every effort to protect member information by, among other things, maintaining control of, and access to, the data collected; prohibiting re-disclosure of member information; limiting the purposes for which the online platforms may use member information; ensuring there is no advertising and that no member information is collected for commercial purposes.